anyone familiar with herbicide 2,4-D ??

K N and P J Harris ecoli at cix.compulink.co.uk
Sun Apr 28 03:56:58 EST 1996

> ==========
> bionet/plants #1080, from d_micro at ix.netcom.co, 1464 chars, 19 Apr
1996 22:23:52
> ----------
> Article: 9601 of bionet.plants
> From: d_micro at ix.netcom.com(Michael L Roginsky )
> Newsgroups: bionet.plants
> Subject: Re: anyone familiar with herbicide 2,4-D ??
> Date: 19 Apr 1996 22:23:52 GMT
>
> In <4kn1ts$prg at larry.rice.edu> keithley at rice.edu (Joseph Keller
> Keithley) writes:
> >
> >Michael L Roginsky (d_micro at ix.netcom.com) wrote:
> >: >Could anyone please provide me with any info on this Chemical
> >: >2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid. It is a herbicide.. also commonly
> >: known as
> >: >2,4-D.
> >: >thanks.
> >: >regards,
> >: >sean
> >
> >It's a synthetic version of the plant hormone, auxin.  Ramifications
> abound.
> >
> Does it break down in hours or days? I use it at 8 oz to the gallon
> (40%) base, plus 8 oz to the gallon of (40%) base Roundup. Some kudzu
> still survives this massive attack. Comes back with leaves disguized.
> A real pain, and a real expense too.  I use 2.5 gallons of base each
> during summer to control the pest.
Just a suggestion but leave the 24D alone. You may be getting a
localised top-growth kill with the 24D BEFORE the Round-up has a chance
to get really spread through the plant. Try the Round-up on its own and
be prepared to wait for quite some time (depending on temperature)
before your weeds even start to look unhappy. I can treat with round-up
and see nothing happen for four weeks - but all that time it is getting
to the places the other weedkillers can't reach.
Peter Harris,
Department of Soil Science,
The University of Reading,
My opinions are my own - the University only pays me.