Sour cherry tree, bay laurel, request for references

shodan at io.org shodan at io.org
Thu Apr 18 19:59:47 EST 1996

aknox at CA0330.CASO.CA.BLM.GOV (ANNE KNOX) wrote:

>I have a 40 foot bay tree in my yard, and want to propagate it.  Any
>advice for taking cuttings?
-----------------------------
Bay is slow to propagate, but here's how.

It may take up to 6 months for a 6-inch semi-ripe basal cutting, taken
in late summer, to root in a propagator. Soil heat should be set for
55 - 60 F (13 - 15 C). It is possible to strike cuttings in a cold
frame, but roots may take up to a year to form. To take a basal
cutting, use a sharp knife to cut through the slight swelling at the
base of a young shoot, just where it joins the main stem. Insert the
cutting into a pot containing good quality, sterile potting medium.
Insert the cutting in the soil to the point where the lower leaves are
just barely touching the soil. Don't leave the cutting out of the soil
for any length of time at all, or it will dry out and chances of
success will decrease.Then be patient!

I know herbs, herbcrafts, flavored oils & vinegars.
Please visit my web site www.io.org/~shodan/
Dylan rules ok.