Indicator plants

kat in the hat kayers at cc.brynmawr.edu
Wed Apr 17 00:58:39 EST 1996

A lot of plants really benefit from stressed environments-
in fact, if they're rapid colonizers, and the environment
is stressed or the ground is continually being
disturbed, they can out-compete (with inadvertant human aid)
other plants against whom they might not be able
to compete.  My botany prof. told us about some
US Army base down "south" somewhere that used tanks
and in the tank treads, a lot of plants would colonize the
newly disturbed ground.  Kind of like plowing a field, hm?
Pine trees and conifers are good indicators of acid rain
or too little nitrogen.  But you probably already knew
this...

-kat
--
Gothcode 2.0: GoAn]GoBi[+ TZ cBKs++ PPe(!L) V- M++ZGo(Ja!!) C+ a21-n+O b:
H156 g-! m--?& w+AT r--P D+-! h-s10 k+SsYn N0993nw LusPA)NH(

"whyever should we care.. if there are arrows in the air..?"
                                                         -Sting

"They've come:
a few black birds
and a black thought."