jatropha curcas

Larry Daley daleyl at bcc.orst.edu
Tue Apr 16 11:21:56 EST 1996

Estimado Dr. Rivera Lorca:

Citation in R.E. Schultes and R. F. Raffault, (1990. The healing Forest.
medicinal and toxic plants of Northwest Amazonia, Dioscorides Press,
Portland, Oregon. p.180) reads:

"Jatropa Linnaeus

The 175 species of trees and shrubs are distributed in the tropics and
subtropics of both hemispheres; a few occur also in North America and
South Africa.  Many prefer xerophytic environments.

The constituents of the genus include tannins, sapogenins, alkaloids,
ethereal oils, toxalbumins and cyanogenic compounds.  The fruit and seeds
of J. curcas are reported to have contraceptive properties.

Other work on several species yielded the following: a coumarino-lignan
from J glandifulifera....antitumor triterpenes...moluscicididal
activity....

(Folk medicine)...(used as a) bath for fevers among the Tikunas.....

i will post your message to a phytopharmacognosy group.

De Ud. atentamente

larry daley