IUBio Biosequences .. Software .. Molbio soft .. Network News .. FTP

"Leaves" on Moss Gametophytes

martin adler kapib01 at commlink.zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Tue Apr 16 02:16:26 EST 1996

On Mon, 15 Apr 1996, David Oppenheim wrote:

> My entire high school AP Bio class was recently intrigued to hear that
> there was no known name for the "leaves" on mosses in the gametophyte
> stage. Our teacher told us that there was no name that she had ever
> found, and I was wondering if they are just called leaves, or if there
> is any other name? Thanks a lot!
>                                            David Oppenheim
>                                            oopy at aol.com

AFAIK, in German they are called just "Blaetter" (leaves) or, if
you really want to restrict this to the cormophytes, some call
it "Blaettchen" (leaflets).

So why not? "Leaf" is just a kind of morpho-/typological term and not 
a structural. 

martin adler           kapib01 at uni-tuebingen.de

More information about the Plantbio mailing list

Send comments to us at biosci-help [At] net.bio.net