IUBio Biosequences .. Software .. Molbio soft .. Network News .. FTP

"Leaves" on Moss Gametophytes

Joseph F Gerrath jfgerrat at uoguelph.ca
Tue Apr 16 12:18:02 EST 1996

David Oppenheim (doppenhe at concentric.com) wrote:
: My entire high school AP Bio class was recently intrigued to hear that
: there was no known name for the "leaves" on mosses in the gametophyte
: stage. Our teacher told us that there was no name that she had ever
: found, and I was wondering if they are just called leaves, or if there
: is any other name? Thanks a lot!

:                                            David Oppenheim
:                                            oopy at aol.com

The technical term in bryophyte texts is "phyllid".  However, even my 
bryologists friends normally call them leaves.

Joe Gerrath
Canadian Botanical Association

More information about the Plantbio mailing list

Send comments to us at biosci-help [At] net.bio.net