Using Frozen Pollen

Randall P. Niedz rniedz at ASRR.ARSUSDA.GOV
Wed Apr 10 08:13:45 EST 1996

 On 5 Apr 1996, Stafford William wrote:

 > 	I collected and froze some Magnolia pollen last spring.  It is
 > just about time for the Magnolias to begin blooming so I need to prepare
 > to use my pollen.
 >
 > 	Do I need to do anything other than just letting the pollen
 > defrost?  I was planning to move the pollen from the freezer to the
 > refrigerator for 24 hours, then to room temperature for a couple of
 > hours before use.
 >
 > 	I will be using the pollen over a period of a couple of weeks.
 > Can I just keep it in the refrigerator between pollenation sessions?
 >
 > 	Thanks in advance,

 Stafford,

 When I use frozen pollen in citrus pollinations I allow it to rehydrate
 for a 4-5 hours before use.  I do this by putting the frozen anthers in a
 closed petri dish with (not on) some wet filter paper.

 Seems to work fine.

 R. Niedz
 USDA, ARS
 Orlando, FL