Edible barberry? "Zereshk"

Tooraj Enayati tooraj at daneel.rdt.monash.edu.au
Mon Apr 8 21:18:13 EST 1996

daniels at Starbase.NeoSoft.COM (Brad Daniels) writes:

>In article <DpCEDK.49s at encore.com>, Soheila Amiri <samiri at encore.com> wrote:
>>ushemmat at uxa.ecn.bgu.edu (Simin Hemmati-rasmussen) writes:
>>I recently received a new form of AlbAloo from Iran which I had
>>not seen before in the stores.  It is pitted albAloo and is wet,
>>meaning it is maintained in its natural juices.  It is far different
>>from the dried AlbAloo and it is much more sour, perfect for AlbAloo
>>polo.  I have already tried it and it tastes pretty close to using
>>fresh AlbAlo for this dish.  Perhaps you can have someone bring it
>>for you.  The price at the time was 1,500 tomans a kilo which translated
>>to about $3.75 a kilo.

>Thanks!  I'll see if I can find some.  Looks like my dreams of growing
>it myself are not to be fulfilled...  Apparently, the tree requires at
>least 500 hours of freezing temperatures each year, and we only get
>around 1/10 of that around here.

Zereshk! (Sorry I had to say Zereshk - looked so appropriate) 500 hours
of freezing temp?  Who gave you this idea?  We get 0 hours of freezing
temp and they grow just fine.

Now who came up with that magic number?  That is 20.833333 days!

misinformer nabAshid!
Tooraj Enayati    Melbourne  Australia    tooraj at daneel.rdt.monash.edu.au
"Don't trouble trouble 'til trouble troubles you"