Edible barberry? "Zereshk"

Brad Daniels daniels at Starbase.NeoSoft.COM
Mon Apr 8 11:29:14 EST 1996

In article <DpCEDK.49s at encore.com>, Soheila Amiri <samiri at encore.com> wrote:
>ushemmat at uxa.ecn.bgu.edu (Simin Hemmati-rasmussen) writes:
>I recently received a new form of AlbAloo from Iran which I had
>not seen before in the stores.  It is pitted albAloo and is wet,
>meaning it is maintained in its natural juices.  It is far different
>from the dried AlbAloo and it is much more sour, perfect for AlbAloo
>polo.  I have already tried it and it tastes pretty close to using
>fresh AlbAlo for this dish.  Perhaps you can have someone bring it
>for you.  The price at the time was 1,500 tomans a kilo which translated
>to about $3.75 a kilo.

Thanks!  I'll see if I can find some.  Looks like my dreams of growing
it myself are not to be fulfilled...  Apparently, the tree requires at
least 500 hours of freezing temperatures each year, and we only get
around 1/10 of that around here.

- Brad
--
Brad Daniels			|  "Let others praise ancient times.
daniels at neosoft.com		|   I am glad I was born in these."