Fluorescent GUS?

K N and P J Harris ecoli at cix.compulink.co.uk
Thu Apr 4 16:27:15 EST 1996

> ==========
> bionet/plants #829, from medtjm at bimcore.emory.edu, 828 chars, Sun  31
Mar 1996 01:59:50 -0
> ----------
> Article: 9350 of bionet.plants
> From: TJ Murphy <medtjm at bimcore.emory.edu>
> Newsgroups: bionet.plants
> Subject: Fluorescent GUS?
> Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 01:59:50 -0800
>
> Can beta-glucuronidase form a fluorescent product and in a manner that
> won't kill cells?  I would like to express GUS in mammalian cells,
then
> isolate transgenic cells by FACS.
Hi,
Not sure whether this is what you want but you could try the MUBF range
of enzyme substrates, almost certainly one for beta-glucuronidase is
available, they can be used at very low concs (2 to 3 ppm) and the
resulting fluorescence is VERY strong and very quick to appear.
Never used them in mammalian cells though.
Peter Haris,
Reading Univ, UK.