Edible barberry? "Zereshk"

Soheila Amiri samiri at encore.com
Thu Apr 4 09:46:31 EST 1996

ushemmat at uxa.ecn.bgu.edu (Simin Hemmati-rasmussen) writes:

>In article <4js8hf$shc at Starbase.NeoSoft.COM>,
>Brad Daniels <daniels at Starbase.NeoSoft.COM> wrote:

[snip]

>>Also, as long as I'm on the subject, does anyone know the scientific name
>>or at least the common English name of "albaloo"?  I tried ordering albaloo
>>polo one time, but I got a dish with dried cherries, which is definitely
>>not the same as the dried albaloo I tasted once.
>>
>>Thanks!
>>- Brad

[snip]

I recently received a new form of AlbAloo from Iran which I had
not seen before in the stores.  It is pitted albAloo and is wet,
meaning it is maintained in its natural juices.  It is far different
from the dried AlbAloo and it is much more sour, perfect for AlbAloo
polo.  I have already tried it and it tastes pretty close to using
fresh AlbAlo for this dish.  Perhaps you can have someone bring it
for you.  The price at the time was 1,500 tomans a kilo which translated
to about $3.75 a kilo.

Regards,
Soheila