Herb used in Vietnamese cooking?

tam tam at usa
Wed Apr 3 04:07:27 EST 1996

daniels at Starbase.NeoSoft.COM (Brad Daniels) wrote:
>In article <4jse6h$sqg at minerva.worldbank.org>,  <KP> wrote:

>If I can find the scientific name of the plant, I may be able to get a nursery
>to special-order some seeds.

Scientific name for Rau Om:
Limnophila sp. (aromatica, balsamea, chinensis).
 However, none of them have the V-shaped indentation on the leaves like
you described. Their leaves are a little bit hairy though. These plants
are very hard to grow in US even in California. They require lots of
moisture and warmth. I saw one guy grow it in the old fish tank with the
perforated cover so that they have enough moisture.

Other Vietnamese herbs that are easier to grow:
Rau ra(m: Polygonum odoratum
Ti'a To^: Perilla frutescens var. crispa
Kinh gio+'i: Elsholtzia ciliata.

The last two have very strong flavor and they have the indentation on the
leaves but non of them have the bean-sprout like stem