Cycad choice help?

NJH0323 njh0323 at aol.com
Fri May 26 22:48:13 EST 1995

We have used Cycas revoluta (I think that's the specific name) in our
Botany lab indoors for many years.  I wouldn't call it a "stately-looking
tree" but it has been confined to the same pot so maybe hasn't had a
chance to grow larger.  This is the "Sago Palm" type of cycad, and they
can get very big and stately in greenhouses.
  This one might work for you in your apartment.  I love cycads...they are
very cool!  The only problem we have with it is attacks of scale insect,
which you can get rid of by wiping down the leaves with alcohol if you
notice an attack.
  At least, Cycas can grow for many years indoors, and might be just for
you!
Good luck...N.Harrison in Northern Calif.