Skunk weed? Also: Tree of Idleness?

Jani Pohjanraito jpohjanr at ee.hit.fi
Sat May 20 05:23:21 EST 1995

Kathy Bilton (kathy at fred.net) wrote:
: The headline of my local paper (Hagerstown, MD Morning Herald) proclaims
: that "Skunk Weed Sickens Youth."  The story quoted the Martinsburg, WV
: police chief as saying that this is a "trash plant that resembles
: marijuana.  It grows along the road.  It will make you intoxicated if you
: smoke it."

[rest deleted]

This 'skunk weed' is Cannabis indica (or possibly sativa, the police
neccecerely hasn't had any botany lessons =). It doesn't 'resemble marijuana'-
it is grade A marjuana with a bushy stout appearance and heavy, stony high.
Skunk is one of the nicknames for certain kind of Cannabis indica. And, as for
trash plants, Cannabis is weed by nature. And about cannabis there probably
should be lots of info in any library, for I read during history lessons
that hemp was cultivated in U.S.A. for seeds and fiber in 19th and 20th
centuries (I live in Finland). Our teacher also told that it was illegalised
because of dishonest politicians needed a new scapegoat and Oil companies
were beginning to lose money because of it. NOT because it was a 'killer
weed with roots in hell.'
As fo 'sickening the youth', I am (and among others many doctors, Ph. D's,
researchers, and generally anyone who has any real knowledge and guts to
tell their opinion honestly) 100% sure that skunk is one of the safest
stimulants for the 'Youth' to use - in comparison to any legal or illegal
substances...