Skunk weed? Also: Tree of Idleness?

Kathy Bilton kathy at fred.net
Fri May 19 11:29:16 EST 1995

The headline of my local paper (Hagerstown, MD Morning Herald) proclaims
that "Skunk Weed Sickens Youth."  The story quoted the Martinsburg, WV
police chief as saying that this is a "trash plant that resembles
marijuana.  It grows along the road.  It will make you intoxicated if you
smoke it."

I've checked all the books I have access to, including the Flora of WV,
the Herbaceous Plants of Maryland, but can find no reference as to what
the scientific name of this plant might be.  Anyone have any ideas as to
what this plant might be?

Another question of plant identity: I have long been wondering what the
scientific name is of the tree referred to as the "Tree of Idleness" in
the book "Bitter Lemons" by ???  The book is set in northern Cyprus - in
the vicinity of Kyrenia.

--Kathy Bilton

Kathy Bilton   kathy at fred.net   http://www.fred.net/kathy/ ......O`-o.......