Q: measuring light in liverwort cultures

H.J. Sluiman mbhsl at s-crim1.dl.ac.uk
Thu May 18 07:10:22 EST 1995

Measuring light quantity and quality in growth-chamber cultures of
liverworts:
As part of a Doctoral project on liverwort (Asterella) taxonomy, I am
trying to measure morphological consequences of shading. I am
growing cultures in alternate bright and shaded (by muslin) shelves of
a growth chamber. The effects are striking: longer narrower thalli in
shade. How can I measure the mean light quantity and quality for
each shelf of the chamber? What equipment do I need and can I
borrow or hire it in Britain/ Scotland/ Edinburgh?
David Long, Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh (d.long at rbge.org.uk)