Are Alocasias Toxic to Cats?

Christopher G. Alpha cga3 at cornell.edu
Wed May 17 10:40:39 EST 1995

In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.950512164030.28998B-100000 at aghill>, Gloria Garner
<ggarner at ag.auburn.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, 9 May 1995, John wrote:
>
> > ez058306 at bullwinkle.ucdavis.edu (Phillip Geiger) wrote:
> >

> > :Does anyone know if Alocasia plants are toxic to cats?  None of the books
> > :I could find include them.  Right now the plant is locked in a room the
> > :cat's not allowed in, but I'd prefer to put it somewhere where it can
> > :get some sun...
> >
> > :Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out here.
> >

> > :Phil
> > :pggeiger at ucdavis.edu
> >
> > YES!
> > All araceae are!
> >
> > Sabercat at gate.net    | http://www.webcom.com/~sabercat/
> > Sabercat at webcom.com  | ftp.gate.net pub/users/sabercat
> >

> All Arums have crystals in them which make them toxic to animals as well as
> people.

Correction the crystals are not toxic per say, they are just needle-like
and thus cause all kinds of discomfort.  If it was toxic why would Taro
(Kalo etc...Colocasia esculenta) be the old staple of Polynesian diets,
cooked of course which disrupts the crystals.

Chris