Auxins (IIA etc.) harmful?!?

yourname at dofa.agvic.gov.au yourname at dofa.agvic.gov.au
Wed May 10 17:21:02 EST 1995

In article <3oq6rv$7d4 at marsu.hit.fi> jpohjanr at ee.hit.fi (Jani Pohjanraito) writes:
>	I just heard a passing remark that auxins cause cancer! Is this
>true, or does anyone here know anything about this?

I have not heard of natural auxin causing cancer.  Someone may have got confused with the auxin type herbicide 2,4,5-T which has been withdrawn from the market because of cancer risk.  The risk here is not actually associated with 2,4,5-T but with a contaminant -dioxin.  There has been a lot of research into the likelyhood of phenoxy herbicides (synthetic auxins like 2,4-D, MCPA, etc) causing cancer.  Some research has indicated fetus damage in mice but as yet there is no great evidence.

Katherine Williams
<williamsk at vida.agvic.gov.au>