Black plants

Nancy Harrison nanharrison at delphi.com
Wed May 10 08:13:55 EST 1995

Zebra plants...?  more likely leopard plants.  Think of all the
plants with "mottled" leaves, purple, pink, white blotches on
them.
  As for black leaves, seems to me they wouldn't work at all
because of the heat absorption problem; would shut down
transpiration altogether.
...Which makes me wonder if "black" flowers are actually
adapted to heat up for the benefit of their pollinators.
Flies, for example, might like a warm place to lay their eggs,
and many naturally "black" flowers are fly-pollinated.  Just
some thoughts...Nan in Northern Calif.