ants

ANNE KNOX aknox at CA0330.CASO.CA.BLM.GOV
Tue May 9 13:58:41 EST 1995

I was wondering what effect ants have on soil/plants.  Do they stick to
eating organic material in the soil, or do they go for plants or seeds?
I have noticed that when I prepare a bed for veggies, they move right in
and start laying hundreds of eggs.  Is it a coincidence that none of my
carrot seeds sprouted in a bed that has become a home to thousands of
ants?  I was toying with the idea of sprinkling some diatomaceous earth
around to kill some off, but if they aren't doing any real harm I guess
that I can live with them. Has anyone studied the effects ants have on
natural systems?  My interest is peaked.

Thanks - Anne