Drought resistant plants?? HELP!!

Hal Hawthorne halh at ix.netcom.com
Mon May 1 20:07:25 EST 1995

In <3o3crl$9fu at mark.ucdavis.edu> ez054637 at chip.ucdavis.edu (Andrea Via)
writes:

>Andrew Johnson (ez057460 at bullwinkle.ucdavis.edu) wrote:
>: I need some ideas of the best kind of drought resistant plants.  I
am in
>: California and I need some good plants for my yard.  What does
anybody
>: suggest??  (Most colorful and little maintenance)
>: Thanks a lot!!
>: --Andy Johnson
>
>Many Australian plants grow great in California and many nurseries are

>starting to carry them.  If you can find it, a great plant is called
the
>Kangaroo Paw (unfortunatly I don't know the latin name off hand).  I
have
>it at home in Santa Rosa.  It loves full sun and I've never needed to
>water it.  Just don't plant it too close to plants you'd be
fertalizing
>since it doesn't like added fertalizer.  The flowers are really unique

>and come in red and yellow.  The only problem I've had with it is that

>the leaves have a tendency to get black edges on them when there has
been
>a lot of rain.  Hope that helps.
>						Andrea

Andrea,

     The plant you are refering to is Anigozanthus sp., and I have
grown this in Davis... but it always had the blackening of the leaves.
A really great place to get California natives is right in your
backyard...more or less...  The UCD Arboretum has a fantastic sale
every year -- the first saturday of Fall quarter. Also, they have
smaller, more frequent sales.  Contact the arboretum headquarters for
details..

Good luck.   Lara