Effect of Salt on Seed Germination

Ancha Ancha
Mon May 1 01:06:38 EST 1995

In article <hortonhs.56.009E68AC at fox.nstn.ns.ca>, hortonhs at fox.nstn.ns.ca (HORTON DISTRICT HIGH SCHOOL) says:

>I am doing a high school honors project on the effect of salt concentrations
>on germination rates. I have searched the net but come up empty. Could someone
>direct me to a place where I might find information on this topic as our high
>school library is very limited.
>
>Steve Fletcher
>hortonhs at fox.nstn.ca

Dear Steve:

There is a lot of literature available on this subject. For example,
please consult the Annual Reports of the International Rice
Research Institute to find out the effects of salt on germination of
rice. Various salts have different effects on germination. For instance,
sulphate salinity is more dangerous than chloride salinity in
some crops. The researchers at IRRI use 1.5% NaCl solution to screen
rice germplasm for salt tolerance. If you need more references,
please contact me via E-Mail (ancha at jircas-os.affrc.go.jp).

With best wishes.

Ancha Srinivasan