Black flowers

Andrea Via ez054637 at chip.ucdavis.edu
Mon May 1 14:21:09 EST 1995

Gavin Inglis (gavini at festival.ed.ac.uk) wrote:
: Apologies if this is an inappropriate place for this question; I can't
: find an FAQ and my knowledge of biology extends about as far as the
: difference between vertebrates and invertebrates.

: I'm writing a bit of fiction, and for a pivotal scene I'd like to include
: a black flower, probably with black petals and a green stalk. There is
: some significance in the combination of colours.

: I didn't expect to stumble across one in the street, exactly, but I spent
: an afternoon in the library with a big stack of weird and wonderful flowery
: books and couldn't find anything. Very dark brown was about as close as I
: got.

: I have a dim fear that no such thing exists despite half-informed opinions
: heard about black tulips and black orchids.

: If anybody could put me straight on this point, I'd be real pleased,
: especially if it's something a person in (say) Edinburgh could obtain.
: If you have a picture on-line, I would probably fall over with gratitude.

: Thanks folks.

: Gavin.

I have several "black" bearded irises in my yard at home as well as
tulips.  Both are actually a very dark purple.  The tulips look more
black than the irises, but still have a definite purple tinge to them.
I've found that the tulips will look more black than purple depending on
the type of soil and light conditions they have.  Not sure any of that
helps, but thought I'd add my two cents.
						Andrea