Ginko Biloba growing

Arlene Gaudet agaudet at MHC.MTHOLYOKE.EDU
Tue Jan 31 09:45:22 EST 1995

Hi, Jani
I grew a couple of these from seeds which had fallen from a tree.  A male
tree was nearby so the seeds were viable.  After removing the outer fleshy
part (which smells really terrible!), I pushed the seeds into some sand in
a plastic container, replaced the cover
and left it outside under some leaves for the winter.  It gets to about
-l0F degrees around here and they may need to freeze to germinate but I
don't know this for sure.
In early spring I checked the seeds and put the ones which had sprouted
in potting soil.  When the weather warmed up I planted them outside and
let them grow on their own.  They did quite well and now, after two years,
are about a foot tall.  The pampered control plants brought indoors for the
winter all died!
I hope this is helpful.  Good Luck with them!
Arlene