Christmas cactus

Ellen Sutter egsutter at UCDAVIS.EDU
Tue Jan 31 23:16:06 EST 1995

Although it is true that Christmas cactus is a short day plant and will
bloom when the days are short (actually when the nights are long), I have
found that cold may substitute for some of the short day length.  I had
several plants on a window sill that got quite cool during the night.  We
had the room light on much of the time (kitchen) and yet we got spectacular
blooms.  I have had this happen before quite a few times.  I did try
putting plants in the closet at night one year, but had the problem of
forgetting to take them out in the morning!  The method that I use now -
keeping them near a window from Sept. 1 on seems to work like a charm.
        Ellen Sutter