Dissing plant stress

Elizabeth Winter ez052136 at peseta.ucdavis.edu
Mon Jan 30 16:53:14 EST 1995

On 25 Jan 1995, Thomas Bjorkman wrote:

> Last night in the State of the Nation Address, President Clinton
> identified the Palnt Stress program a useless federal expenditure that
> should be done away with.  I assume that this is the one that is part of
> the USDA-NRI program (approx 1 mega$).  Does anyone here know why he
> thought this program was not worthwhile?  Misinterpretation as a plant
> psychology initiative, or someting more serious?
>
> --
> Thomas Bjorkman    Dept. of Horticultural Sciences   Cornell University

Apparently, Ross Perot said the same thing, adding on something to the
effect of "who cares if a plant's feelings are hurt".  Yeah, kind of
dissappointing isn't it?  Anyway, I don't think they understand what
plant stress is.  A few people at U.C. Davis have written to the
president to fill him in on the importance of the subject.  I'm sure if
Clinton knew that this subject covers such things as looking at how
increased UV radiation, temperatures, and other exaggerated conditions
effect plants - and if plants could be modified to overcome deliterious
conditions, he would have a different attitude.  >