Peruvian spuds

Mark E. Nordby mnordby at omnifest.uwm.edu
Mon Jan 30 14:29:07 EST 1995

I've tried this inquiry on the GARDENING net to no avail.
I'm looking for a source for unusual (in this country) seed potatoes of the
types grown in Peru.  They include round, long and corckscrew shaped var-
ieties of colors ranging from deep purple to yellow and orange.  A program
on PBS's Nova dealt with these and other food crops that originated in S.
America.  The story said that garden variety spuds have been derived from
these, and that the Peruvian types are in danger of vanishing due to their
having a smaller yield/acre than modern types.  I'm interested in prpa-
gating them, and growing an unusual crop in a small garden plot I have
access to.
mnordby at omnifest.uwm.edu