Seed Shapes

Tony Travis ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Sat Jan 28 09:22:53 EST 1995

John Higgins (higgins at uk.gov.sasa) wrote:
: In article <1995Jan26.201624.9004 at blaze.trentu.ca>, sgood at ivory.trentu.ca (Shawn P. Good) says:
: >
: >I am doing a seminar in university for a third year course called
: >Introduction to the Population of Seed Plants.  My seminar topic deals with
: >seed shape and what factors it controls (ie. dispersal, germination etc.
: >etc.).  I have had difficulty finding much on this.  Is there anyone out
: >there who knows something ?
: [...]

: You should try your nearest Seed Testing Station for some advice.  A good article to start you off would be "Dealing with stop-go germination in flower seed" by Betty Ransom Atwater (Santa Barbara, California) in Acta Horticulturae 83, 1978 pp 175 - 194..  This article deals with seed shape and structure and their relationship with dormancy.  If I had more time I'm sure I could find a lot more refs for you.  How about setting up a seeds notice board?
: John Higgins

If the seed _shape_ is what you want, you might be interested work I
did at the National Institute of Agricultural Botany in Cambridge:

Travis, A.J. and Draper, S.R. (1985) A computer based system for the
	recognition of seed shape, Seed Science and Technology, 13, 813-820.

Draper, S.R. and Travis, A.J. (1984) Preliminary observations with a
	computer based  system for analysis of the shape of seeds and
	vegetative structures, Journal of the National Institute of
	Agricultural Botany, 16, 387-395.

	Tony.
Aberdeen, AB2 9SB. UK.                |    fax: +44 (0)224 716687