evolution of leaf size and shape

Timothy Martin timm at u.washington.edu
Sun Jan 22 13:58:15 EST 1995

Doug Sprugel wrote an interesting article that offered some hypotheses to
explain why most boreal and montane forests in the Northern Hemisphere
are dominated by needle-leaved evergreen trees:

Sprugel, D.G. 1989. The relationship of evergreenness, crown
architecture, and leaf size. American Naturalist 133:465-479.

A reply to this paper offering alternative hypotheses was:

Smith, W.K. and C.A. Brewer. 1994. The adaptive importance of shoot and
crown architecture in conifer trees. American Naturalist 143:528-532.

Hope this helps.

Tim Martin
College of Forest Resources
University of Washington