Seed Shapes

John Higgins higgins at sasa.gov.uk
Fri Jan 27 07:08:07 EST 1995

In article <1995Jan26.201624.9004 at blaze.trentu.ca>, sgood at ivory.trentu.ca (Shawn P. Good) says:

>I am doing a seminar in university for a third year course called
>Introduction to the Population of Seed Plants.  My seminar topic deals with
>seed shape and what factors it controls (ie. dispersal, germination etc.
>etc.).  I have had difficulty finding much on this.  Is there anyone out
>there who knows something ?
>
>Please e-mail me back
>
>Shawn.
>sgood at trentu.ca
>
>Thanks !

You should try your nearest Seed Testing Station for some advice.  A good article to start you off would be "Dealing with stop-go germination in flower seed" by Betty Ransom Atwater (Santa Barbara, California) in Acta Horticulturae 83, 1978 pp 175 - 194.  This article deals with seed shape and structure and their relationship with dormancy.  If I had more time I'm sure I could find a lot more refs for you.  How about setting up a seeds notice board?
John Higgins
Official Seed Testing Station
Scottish Agricultural Science Agency
East Craigs