How to get rid of whiteflies?

Mark P. Waldrop mwaldrop at nmsu.edu
Wed Jan 25 20:10:32 EST 1995

Maarten van Helden (Maarten.vanhelden at medew.ento.wau.nl) wrote:
: In article <3fj573$lat at ghost.sm.dsi.unimi.it>, delle at pc.unicatt.it (Massimo Delledonne) says:
: >
: >We have a incredible whiteflies invasion in hour greenhouse and we are loosing a lot of transgenic tobacco and tomato .....
: >Anybody knows how to kill this terrible bug?
: >
: Well, the best method is clearly biological control.
: Especially if it is the whitefly Trialeurodes vaporariorum.
: Use the parasitic wasp Encarsia formosa, which will be know by any
: supplier of biological control agents.

You should try spraying Safer Soap on the plants, making sure to get the
underside of leaves, where they usually enjoy hanging out. Safer Soap is a
non-toxic spray. It is a thick soap solution which makes the leaves
unpalatable to the white flies.  Spray it every 4 days or so. Its works
well. If you want to use toxic poisons, go for Talstar, but be careful...

Bye,
Peace, love, everything