Bark Identification

Cynthia Donahey cdonahey at freenet.columbus.oh.us
Sat Jan 21 18:24:04 EST 1995

I live in Central Ohio.  There is a tree I would like to identify.  I use
the bark on baskets and such, much like people use birch bark.  Anyway,
even when the trunk is completely rotten, the bark is still pliable. It is
a mottled gray, slightly rough to the touch.  Normally, I get the bark
when the tree has been done for some time.  I've found it various places
including old industrialized areas, so it's pretty wide spread.  Can
anyone take a stab at identifying it for me.  It's about as attractive as
Osage Orange root paper; in fact, they combine nicely.

Cindy