River birch micropropagation

Jeffrey P Schnurr schnurr at badlands.NoDak.edu
Fri Jan 20 17:42:17 EST 1995

This is the second posting of the same article, so if you responded the
first time, you don't have to this time.

Does anyone have any clue on initiating Betula nigra in tissue culture?
My cultures are about five months old and are still alive but the number
is gradually going down.  They keep producing primordia near the medium
surface but these never develop.  Right now they're on Woody Plant Medium
with 0.01 micromolar thidiazuron.

I'd appreciate any help since this is a selected tree from western North
Dakota and river birch isn't supposed to grow there.  This is basic
research and information will not be used commercially.

Thank you.

Jeff Schnurr

Dep't. of Plant Sciences
North Dakota State University