Artifical lighting for plants

C:WINSOCKKA9QSPOOLMAIL bill at dobx.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 20 07:15:03 EST 1995

In article: <croman.51.0069DA68 at vt.edu>  croman at vt.edu (HLDN Caufield)
writes:

> I have several plants on my window but there is not a lot of sunlight that
> comes through because of a building across from me.  I put a regular
> fluorescent light over my plants and I was wondering if it would help the
> plants or if I have to get a special plant bulb for the light.
>
> If anyone knows anyhting about this please write me at croman at vt.edu
>
> Thankyou

Hi Kevin,

I'm not much of expert on plant biology but I am a keen photgrapher. Just
two observations from me:-

1) Most people overestimate the illumination from artificial light.
   It can look bright and be 5 times dimmer than natural day light.
   I suggest you get some sort of light meter and measure the level
   of light the fluoro is giving. Suggestion use your camera light meter
   but remeber every stop on the dial is 50% reduction in light.

2) Wavelength must be a crutial factor for the plant.
   I know all green plants are very sensitive to one end of the spectrum,
   but I have forgotten which end!

You have a very interesting experiment going on here and I would like to
hear how you get on.

The best of luck!

Bill