Growth and Noise

Carol M Lively clively at onramp.net
Thu Jan 19 03:58:19 EST 1995

In message <3fjr6k$l43 at ixnews3.ix.netcom.com>, MargeC at ix.netcom.com (Marge
Congress) writes:

>How does sound energy effect a plant's behavior? From what I found out
>it does effect their growth a little bit. Is there any literature on the
>subject?
>
>Angela Phillipa
>Mail to MargeC at ix.netcom.com

As I suggested to another poster who was looking for information on the
effects of EMF on plants, take a look at a couple of books entitled
"The Secret Life of Plants" and "Secrets of the Soil" by Peter Tompkins
and Christopher Bird.  Both books look at the relationship of plants to
their environment, e.g. their human caretakers, EMF, sound, etc.

Some of the stuff that they touch on is a bit "wild/on the fringe", but
as I stated in an earlier post, they are very thought-provoking.

There is specifically a chapter on the effects of sound on plants.  In
fact, if I remember correctly, it's about a "grandmother" who went back
to school to get her degree, and she ended doing this science project that
involved the effects of music on plants.  She was so excited about her
findings that she ended up writing a paper about it.

There is also a chapter on a guy named Dan Carlton, once again - if I
remember correctly, who got into the Guinness World Book of Records with
a Purple Passion plant that ended up being several miles long because of
"the kind of music that it listened to" in addition to foliar sprayings
which were applied whilst the plant enjoyed its entertainment.  (Has to do
with mimicking bird song and how the stomata (little plant mouths)opened
more widely because of it, thereby ingesting more nutrients.)

Hope this proves to be useful to you,

Carol Lively