Urban Natives

Dr Don Ewart D.Ewart at ForProd.CSIRO.au
Fri Jan 13 13:38:57 EST 1995

In article <Joshua_Berman-1101952347240001 at cis-ts3-slip1.cis.brown.edu> Joshua_Berman at brown.edu (Josh Berman) writes:
>From: Joshua_Berman at brown.edu (Josh Berman)
>Subject: Urban Natives
>Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 23:47:24 -0300

>A head Landscape Architect at the Rhode Island Dept. of Transportation
>told me this morning that the whole hoopla over indigenous species is only
>a "fad" that is primarily resulting from the Wetland act amendments three
>years ago. He acknowledges the importance of not planting agressive
>non-natives, but does not seem to think that an area's natives should be
>exclusively planted in DOT's projects.  Does anyone out there agree, or
>strongly disagree?

One might (rudely) suggest that landscape architects are interested
in controlling shape and color.  They are thus unlikely to
promote indigenous species whose shape can be patterned by the
myriad of minor annimal species feeding upon them . . .

Cheers
Don
.
Dr Don Ewart                        D.Ewart at ForProd.CSIRO.Au
Granitgard Pty Ltd/CSIRO Div. Forest Products
Mail: Priv. Bag 10 Rosebank MDC, Clayton VIC 3169, Australia
Tel: +613 542 2271  Fax: +613 543 6613
.