Psyllium seeds

Michael Moore hrbmoore at rt66.com
Sun Jan 15 21:23:31 EST 1995

Subject: Psyllium seeds
From: Andrew Trotter, andrew at moe.drawing.adelaide.edu.au
Date: 13 Jan 1995 03:24:20 GMT
In article <3f4rp4$6k3 at quandong.itd.adelaide.edu.au> Andrew Trotter,
andrew at moe.drawing.adelaide.edu.au writes:
>--
>Hi,
>   I'm not into biology and the natural sciences but some of my friends
are
>and I offered to help them to get more information regarding a
plant/seeds of
>somthing called, I hope I get this correct, PSYLLIUM. It's ment to be
food
>crop, a replacement to wheat, low in cholesterol, mild laxative, etc.
>One of the group wants about a kilo of seeds for trialling.
>Any assistance, preferably in Australia but all accepted, will be gladly
>accepted.

Psyllium seeds (from Plantago ovata and others) are a crude drug and
semi-food substance used throughout the world.  They possess little
nutritive value, but instead are used as hydroscopic and mucilagenous
agents in treating BOTH constipation and diarrhea.  Because the outside
mucopolysaccharide surface is so useful as a colloidal agent, it has been
of great value for those with labile blood sugar and type II diabetes,
supplying massive amounts of soluble fiber when the usual dietary sources
(legumes) are not well tolerated.

I am sure these seeds or an equivalent product derived from the hulls
(such as Metamucil) is available in Australia.  You might try contacting
Andrew Pengelly of the National Herbalists Association of Australia at
apsun at peg.pegasus.oz.au,
although the seeds are undoubtedly available in bulk (probably for a
reasonable price) in the nearest health food store or chemist's shop.
Michael Moore (hrbmoore at rt66.com)
(GOPHER and WWW)
gopher://president.oit.unc.edu:70/11/../.pub/academic/medicine/
alternative-healthcare/SW-School of Botanical Medicine
(ANONYMOUS FTP)
sunsite.unc.edu  /pub/academic/medicine/alternative-healthcare/
SW School of Botanical Medicine