list of garden plant names

Rolf M Dahle rdahle at maroon.tc.umn.edu
Fri Jan 13 22:44:32 EST 1995

Where can I obtain a machine readable list of garden plant scientific names?

At the landscape arboretum where I do volunteer work, the data entry of
accession records is often done by volunteers with little or no botanical
or horticultural training. Also, the handwriting in the old accession
books is often difficult to make out. As a result, the accession record
database has a lot of errors.

To correct past errors and to prevent many future ones it would be useful
to have a comprehensive list of plant names with which to do a look up to
verify names as they are entered and to verify the names in past entries.

Public domain is preferred but a commercial product might be ok. A plant
name dictionary on a CD for 25 to 50 bucks would be ideal. An FTPable file
would also be great. Is there any such resource?

Rolf M Dahle                    *
Farm Island Botanical Software  *  Herbarium label software
5995 McKinley Street Northeast  *  (612) 574-0952
Fridley, Minnesota 55432        *  rdahle at maroon.tc.umn.edu