Umbrella tree dropping leaves

Tim Spencer tjspencer at btbcs.bt.co.uk
Fri Jan 13 04:31:16 EST 1995

I hope this is an appropriate newsgroup for this question.

I have an umbrella tree (I haven't got a clue what the Latin name is,
but its not relevant anyway) which keeps dropping leaves and sometimes
entire stalks. It has two main stems about 1/2" - 3/4" in diameter and
is about 5'6" high. Other than being a little short on leaves is appears
healthy to me but then I don't claim to know anything  about plants. I
have had it for a year now and it is still dropping the leaves, mainly
from lower down on the stems. It is in my lounge, the temperature varies
between about 14C and 20C. The soil at the top of the pot is quite dry
but when I test it with a moisture meter, it indicates that it is damp
at the roots.

Has anyone got any suggestions why the plants keeps dropping leaves? Are
they supposed to do this?

Tim.