Repost: someone PLEASE answer

Steve Cosman cosman at acs.ucalgary.ca
Fri Jan 13 11:18:02 EST 1995

Hello again!

A couple weeks ago I posted a question on sodium vapor wattage recommendations
for my light hood.

I got but one response to my posting.  And this did not even answer my
question!  (The fellow obviously did not understand my question.)  I think
it's simple!  So I'll post again.

Couldn't someone please help?

I wrote:
  I have a light hood which sits in my livingroom.  It is currently equipped
  with HID lighting.  The bulbs are two 175 W hybrids; mostly MH with lesser
  sodium vapor and mercury vapor components.  They are single-enveloped bulbs
  and so, the base of the hood is covered by a sheet of frosted glass.
  Each are powered by their own 175 W ballast.  Of couse the cabinet is both
  fanned and equipped with an emergency-shutoff thermostat.

  But I now wish to upgrade and my lights are over 6000 hr old and beginning to
  flicker!  I'd like to replace both bulbs with 175 W MH bulbs.  I would also
  like to buy a sodium vapor bulb and install this, with ballast, in with the
  other two bulbs.  My main question centers on bulbs: What wattage of sodium
  vapor bulb do I want?

  I will be trying to grow tropical plants which require one helluva strong
  light!  (i.e. maximum intensity)  So I would say that I want the maximum
  intensity of light that the human eye could comfortably look at!

  I'd like readers opinions' on a comfortable maximum wattage of sodium vapor.