When's the best time to prune?

Dennis Goos dennis_goos at mindlink.bc.ca
Sat Jan 7 14:46:15 EST 1995

In article <3ekf0q$enu at uwm.edu> fruhbaur at alpha1.csd.uwm.edu (Jennifer Fruhbauer) writes:
>From: fruhbaur at alpha1.csd.uwm.edu (Jennifer Fruhbauer)
>Subject: Re: When's the best time to prune?
>Date: 6 Jan 1995 22:08:26 GMT

>ANDERSON, MATTHEW C (mca575a at summa.tamu.edu) wrote:
>: possible, and that it should be done in the summer.  Fall is best because
>: the plant is dormant and damage (trauma?) is thus minimized; spring is best
>nope, not fall...although i am not an expert in this, many shrubs form buds
>that last throughout the winter...i have always pruned in spring/summer,
>after flowering is finished

I think you really must consider the plants needs and your own needs. Your
purpose,the season, the zone,fruiting and flowering,shoot developement,
appearance, and many more considerations involved.
Maybe ask about when a specific plant should be pruned to achieve a specific
purpose in a specific area would enable a specific response.

Dennis