plant growth

Robert Mcgehee TEJU87B at prodigy.com
Wed Jan 4 02:20:35 EST 1995

I am going to do my science report/project on plant growth hormones ie
auxins, gibberellins, cytokinins and possibly inhibitors: abscisic acid
and ethylene.  Currently I am doing research on the topics trying to
think of a good experiment (any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated).
  I don't seem to understand the role of auxins in phototropism and
geotropism.  First how are the auxins (and other hormones) transported
throughout the plant, is it through the tissues itself, being carried
from one cell to the other, or is it transported in the tubes that carry
the sap and water?  Is it correct that auxins respond to light and dark
by migrating over to one side of the plant;  and it responds to gravity
by migrating upward?  Next question:  supposedly if a plant is allowed to
grow in the darkness it will grow faster for a while than a similar plant
growing in full light.  Why is this, if the auxins are not migrating in
either case wouldn't the growth be the same?  Do the auxins migrate down
to the roots in the light, and if so how does this fit in with geotropism
(auxins migrate up).  Lastly if anyone can think of an experiment that
could possibly tie this together please tell.

Robert McGehee