Auxins

Robert Mcgehee TEJU87B at prodigy.com
Tue Jan 3 16:08:30 EST 1995

I'm doing a science report/project on plant hormones especially auxins.
I have been doing some research on the field and there are two topics
that I do not understand.  The first is apical dominance.  If a bud is
removed why would the level of auxin drop in the main stem and why would
the adjacent lateral buds begin to grow?  What triggers this?  Isn't it
correct that the auxins that were causing the removed bud from growing
lied in that bud?  If so wouldn't the auxins also be removed with the bud?

Another topic I don't seem to understand is this:  If one was to remove
all of the seeds on one side of a strawberry, the strawberry would not
develope as normal on that side of the strawberry.  Does each seed
release auxins for their particular region of the strawberry?

Thanks

Robert McGehee