Western Floras

Patrick Coin COIN at NIEHS.NIH.GOV
Tue Jan 3 16:28:48 EST 1995

In article <2JAN95.15363735>, jbeckert at sallie.wellesley.edu wrote:

>         For reference:  something comparable to the east-coast "Gray's
> Manual of Botany" or Gleason & Cronquist's "Manual of Vascular Plants".
There is a new book called "Jepson Manual: Higher Plants of California" or
something like that. I haven't seen it. It can be ordered from LA Audubon
Society for about $70 (write me if you want address). Has anybody used
this? If so, how does it compare to Munz's work mentioned by another
poster?

>         For field guide & e-z reference:  Wildflower guide similar to
> Newcomb's Wild Flower Guide, which has an easy key
I think you are out of luck here. Newcomb's is wonderful, but unique. I
haven't seen anything like it for the west. Please post or mail me if you
have. I just suffer through one of the Petersen series in the west. I've
gone through the Petersen's Wildflowers of the Pacific Coast (Niehaus &
Ripper) and marked some plates with Newcomb-style code
(5/alternate/toothed, etc). Still this is a nusiance, with the plates
sorted by color.

>                 Tree & Shrub guide similar to east coast version of Petersens
> Field Guide to Trees and Shrubs, again with easy key and line drawings of
> leaves/twigs.
Petrides has a new Field Guide to Western Trees (not shrubs, but he often
seems to include large shrubs as "trees"). This is part of  the Petersen
series too. It looks good, but I haven't used it yet. I have found the
Eastern Tree guide to be great, and the shrub guide to be fair.

I'd love to hear more on this thread, including suggestions for usable
guides for the southern US and abroad.

--
Patrick Coin
Durham, NC