artificial lighting recommendations sought

Steve Cosman cosman at acs.ucalgary.ca
Mon Jan 2 19:07:33 EST 1995

Howdy Netters:

I have a light hood which sits in my livingroom.  It is currently equipped
with HID lighting.  The bulbs are two 175 W hybrids; mostly MH with lesser
sodium vapor and mercury vapor components.  They are single-enveloped bulbs
and so, the base of the hood is covered by a sheet of frosted glass.
Each are powered by their own 175 W ballast.  Of couse the cabinet is both
fannned  and equipped with an emergency-shutoff thermostat.

But I now wish to upgrade and my lights are over 6000 hr old and beginning to
flicker!  I'd like to replace both bulbs with 175 W MH bulbs.  I would like
to buy a HP Phillips Sunagro sodium vapor bulb and install this, with ballast,
in with the other two bulbs.  My main question centers on Sunagros: What
wattage of bulb do I want?

I will be trying to grow tropical plants which require one helluva strong
light!  (i.e. maximum intensity)  So I would say that I want the maximum
intensity of light that the human eye could comfortably look at!

I'd like readers opinions' on a comfortable maximum wattage of sodium vapor.

Steve					cosman at acs.ucalgary.ca