Propagating ponytail palm

jbeckert at sallie.wellesley.edu jbeckert at sallie.wellesley.edu
Sun Feb 26 09:46:41 EST 1995

I have an old ponytail palm (Beaucarnea recurvata, tho I think they've
renamed it); probably 20 years old by me, and it was big when I got it.
It has just this year started sprouting new tufts of leaves off the side
of the slender part of the stem.  The top part had curved over somewhat,
maybe the extra light on the stem triggered it, or some change in the
flow of auxins or something.  You know, like when a tree tips over but
still has roots in the ground, and new branches start growing up from
the top side of the trunk.

//Jan.