Boston Fern help!!

Kathy Golden krgolden at ucdavis.edu
Sun Feb 26 14:37:37 EST 1995

In article <3i8l48$9u9 at newsbf02.news.aol.com>, <flex13 at aol.com> writes:
> From: flex13 at aol.com (Flex13)
> Newsgroups: bionet.plants
> Subject: Boston Fern (nephrolepis) help!!
> Date: 19 Feb 1995 18:44:08 -0500
> Sender: root at newsbf02.news.aol.com
>
> I am a novice indoor plant grower.  I recently purchased a boston
fern.
> The temp in my apt. is 68-70 F.  I run a humidifier, so it is not dry.
> The fern gets no direct sunlight, but plenty of indirect.  I mist it
every
> day and water it only when dry.
> Why do I keep loosing leaves(fronds?)?

Is your Boston fern rootbound?  If so, it may be that even though you
think you are watering enough, the roots are not being moistened, and
the water is flowing around the rootball, along the inside of the pot.
It may be necessary for you to repot your fern to a larger container.

Kathy Golden
UC-Davis Plant Science Undergraduate Program
email <krgolden at ucdavis.edu>