Propagating ponytail palm

Yvonne Edwards yvonne at solution
Thu Feb 23 00:00:19 EST 1995

In article <3i87er$6ql at newsbf02.news.aol.com> revans4509 at aol.com (REVANS4509) writes:
>I have three ponytail palms that I have raised from seeds.  I've had them
>for ten years.  I have seen other such palms with multiple ponytails and I
>assume this is accomplished by cutting the woody base between the bulb and
>the greenery.

I have one that had the top broken from it and sat for many months with
no top, just the thick wooden stem. Happily, it finally sprouted several
new tops and 'multiple ponytails'.

>I have two questions:
>
>1.  Is there a best place to cut?

Hard to say. What happened to mine was not planned!

>2.  Can I propagate a new plant from the cutting?

I have tried many times, without success, to grow new plants from a
single ponytail cut from the main plant. The base always seems to
rot away rather than sprout roots. I have tried root hormone powder
and all the tricks that usually work for me with cuttings but have
failed miserably.

Yvonne                          Y.Edwards at unsw.edu.au