cactus question

Aaron Fishleder ez049742 at peseta.ucdavis.edu
Wed Feb 22 22:30:14 EST 1995

Naera,
	There are several things that might be wrong with your cacti.
First of all, since no fertilizer had ever been added, the plant might be
suffering from a lack of nutrients.  I suggest you try a slow release
fertilizer which allows for nutrients to be released over a six to eight
month period.  You should check your local nursery or garden store to see
what fertilizers are available.
	Also, the idea of an 11 ft. plant in a 1 ft. pot seems awkward.
You might want to transplant the cacti to a larger pot.  Your plant might
be root bound, which means the roots have out grown the pot.
	Finally, you might want to rethink your water schedule.  Cacti
need to be watered frequently in the summer, and need to be kept cool and
dry in the winter.  Think about the plant's natural environment.
	I hope some of this is useful.

Aaron Fishleder
UC Davis