Plants in the bedroom

larson eric elarson at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Mon Feb 20 14:17:29 EST 1995

oramirez at pegasus.rutgers.edu (OXY) writes:

>I don't know very much about plants, so I figured this
>would be a good place to post my question. Is it
>true that you shouldn't put plants in your room at night
>because they use oxygen in the air and put CO2 back?
>And then during the daylight hours the reverse occurs
>(they take CO2 and give us oxygen)?

The amount of CO2 a plant gives off a night pales in comparison to your own
respiration.  You'd kill yourself before a plant could even get started.

Don't worry about it at all.  The air in most rooms exchanges 6 or more
times per hour -- sufficient to clear your own respiration and that of any
plants (even if the room was saturated with plants).

--
Eric Larson                  | University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
USDA/Agronomy                | 190 PABL; 1201 W. Gregory; Urbana, IL 61801